Monday, January 28, 2013

The Birth and Life of Opera

In this video I learned much more about opera and how it is still going strong in this day and age.  I must admit that I previously had little knowledge of opera aside from a basic definition of what it is.  I had never seen an opera in person and nor had I heard of any of my friends or family having seen any actual opera in a theater.  Even during my stay in London while there were many musicals and plays being shown, I did not hear of any operas.  While I knew it was still being preformed it felt as if it was only being shown in small opera house reserved only for the wealthy and famous.

But this video proved me quite wrong.  In fact the theaters opera is preformed in are incredibly large with 4500 people in the audience all watching the same opera.  The popularity of what I had considered to be a lost art is truly astounding.  To be able to tell a story in such an impressive method is something that I now find myself fairly interested in.  Maybe I should try to track down a real opera house sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment