Sunday, January 27, 2013

Second Class

In class we summarized some of the many forms that art has taken throughout the years, although skipping over oriental art and digital arts.  The style that most appeals to me is the geometrical style of cubist paintings and sculptures.  I always found it a bit odd that I enjoy an art style so heavily influenced by simple shapes over the much more detailed baroque works and classical paintings.  As someone who has been drawing since I was a child I have mostly adapted a cartoon based style relying heavily on smooth lines, not geometrical figures.  Yet the pieces made by Picasso interest me very much.

To answer the question posed in class about what defines art I say art is everything.  From massive paintings that cover the ceiling of massive churches to a stick figure drawn on a subway wall.  Anything that people creates for the sole purpose of being seen should be considered art.  Buildings are art, streets are art, and food is art.  If someone can see it, whether they enjoy it or not, it is art.  Even if the only person who sees it is the very person who made it.


No comments:

Post a Comment